top of page
Workshops & Performances
A series of workshops and performances by award winning authors and illustrators
Monday 30 January
- 30 Jan, 16:00 – 16:45Station HallCelebrating the works of Children's Laureate, Joseph Coelho, our team of festival writers will run a fun and creative interactive session for children to explore what makes a wonderful poem - and have a go at inventing their own! AGES 4+
Wednesday 1 February
- 01 Feb, 16:00 – 17:00Station HallPrepare to embark on a tour through time. But this is no ordinary atlas. The maps in History Atlas are packed with kings, queens, heroes, villains, inventors, artists & explorers! With quirky facts, astonishing characters & compelling stories, this is history at its most entertaining. AGES 6+
Thursday 2 February
- 02 Feb, 19:00 – 20:00Virtual EventSimon will read EXCLUSIVELY from his yet-to-be published, new YA novel, BOY LIKE ME! Also expect goofy, histrionic fun exploring Simon's landmark novels about teens at their worst - and best! Fun & high energy with lots of comedy anecdotes, this is the perfect event for celebrating equality. AGES 13
- 02 Feb, 16:00 – 17:00Station HallJoin award-winning author and illustrator Frann Preston-Gannon for a fun-filled storytime and craft workshop. Frann will be reading from her picture books including her latest book, I Want The Moon, playing drawing games and helping children make their very own Moon Machines AGES 3+
Friday 3 February
- 03 Feb, 16:00 – 17:00Station HallProfessor Slug is an eccentric expert on invertebrates who helps bugs out with their buggy problems – and you can too! Get as strong as an ant! Teach a bee how to buzz! And help a dung beetle make a pooey perfume for its big date…A fun theatre show for all ages.
Saturday 4 February
- 04 Feb, 15:30 – 17:30Station HallA lonely but precocious 10-year-old girl befriends a mysterious giant & is whisked away to Giant Country. From the imaginations of two of the world's greatest storytellers, Roald Dahl & Steven Spielberg, & with an outstanding performance by Academy Award Winning local actor, Sir Mark Rylance AGE 7+
- 04 Feb, 14:45 – 15:45Station HallThe amazing Louie Stowell will be presenting our competition prizes for 2023! This will follow Louie's Loki session at 14.00 We hope your pupils are excited about submitting their own stories to this year’s competition!
- 04 Feb, 14:00 – 14:45Station HallJoin celebrated author and Norse myth superfan, Louie Stowell, in this interactive event to hear all about her bestselling series, Loki: A Bad God’s Guide to…, then discover how to draw Loki and even create your own mischievous Norse gods! Packed full of humour and cool facts. AGES 9+
- 04 Feb, 13:00 – 13:45198 Contemporary Arts And LearningImmerse yourself in a world of brilliantly funny poems and stories with one time poet in residence for The Roald Dahl Museum, Paul Lyalls. Expect a dazzling show of humour and fun not to be missed! Ages 5 to 105!
- 04 Feb, 13:00 – 13:45Station HallMeet the author of the Fairy Tales for the Fearless series for some musical mayhem based on his picture books Rabunzel, CinderGorilla and Snowy White! With live drawing and live music, you’ll sing, shout, rap and learn how to LET DOWN YOUR EARS in this hilarious and unique event. AGES 4+
- 04 Feb, 12:00 – 12:45Station HallJump on board for a super-powered, super-fun introduction to Marv – the newest superhero in town. Hear about Alex’s own favourite superheros before helping him design a brand new supersuit for your own superhero. With a reading from the brand new Marv and the Blizzard Zone. AGES 5+
- 04 Feb, 11:00 – 11:45198 Contemporary Arts And LearningJoin Frances Durkin, historian and author of the award-winning Histronauts book series, in this entertaining session that invites children to engage with the history of ancient Greece through storytelling, fun facts and activities. AGES 7+
- 04 Feb, 11:00 – 11:45Station Hall, Station HallThere are billions of creatures on earth, but there is only one YOU! Join Lucy & Jenna for a high energy, interactive event exploring the different ways young grow up on our planet & the journey we all take to find our true place in the world. Complete with yucky poo facts! AGES 4+ and all welcome!
- 04 Feb, 10:00 – 10:45Station HallMeet Mr Panda and all of his animal friends in this fun, interactive drawing and story session with bestselling children's author and illustrator, Steve Antony. Perfect for little pandas who like to draw! AGES 4+
Sunday 5 February
- 05 Feb, 15:00 – 15:45Station HallMuch loved storyteller & creator of the JoJo and Gran Gran characters that inspired the CBeebies series of the same name, Laura Henry-Allain will be reading from her children’s books, answering questions and leading an interactive exploration of how we can be the best version of ourselves. AGES 4+
- 05 Feb, 13:00 – 13:45Station Hall, Railton Rd, London SE24 0JW, UKIt's 1764. London is struck by a sudden sleeping sickness. The Elemental Detectives must overcome a riddling dragon, a plague monster and more to save the city. Want to hear more? Come armed with questions about the London monsters you want to create. AGES 9+
- 05 Feb, 13:00 – 13:45Brockwell Park Greenhouses, BPCG, Brockwell Hall, Brockwell Park, London SE24 9BJ, UKStep into a world of wild flower power! Discover carnivorous plants and climbers, poison predators and puppeteers, and fascinating botanical facts with adventuring botanist Leif Bersweden. And come ready to design your own marvellous botanical creations… AGES 5+
- 05 Feb, 12:00 – 12:45Station HallMuch loved former CBeebies star Cerrie Burnell Will give a magical introduction to ‘Wilder Than Midnight’, exploring how fairy tales are made, developing your own fairy tale writing; and giving the chance to ask one of TV’s most visible children’s presenters all your burning questions! AGES 9+
- 05 Feb, 11:00 – 11:45198 Contemporary Arts and Learning , 198 Railton Rd, London SE24 0JT, UKAva has to dress up for her school assembly but she doesn't know who to be. Come and hear the inspiring story of Ava's grandma who came to England on the Empire Windrush boat. Story-telling plus an art activity. AGES 4+
- 05 Feb, 11:00 – 11:45Station Hall, Above Herne Hill Station, Railton Rd, London SE24 0JW, UKJump on the footplate and join Sam Sedgman for a steam-powered exploration of his latest adventure, The Arctic Railway Assassin. Discover how Sam and co-author, M. G. Leonard, create the Adventures on Trains series, and hear all about the world's most fascinating railway journeys. AGES 8+
- 05 Feb, 10:00 – 10:45198 Contemporary Arts and Learning , 198 Contemporary Arts And LearningPacked with quick and easy drawing techniques, this hands-on illustration workshop is based on one of Karin Littlewood’s best known books, Immi - the story of friendship across the world. AGES 6+
- 05 Feb, 10:00 – 10:45Station HallStella can't help spotting things wherever she goes! Find out how her detective skills reunite a colourful old lady with her missing pet. Plus create your own ‘Lost Parrot!’ poster to take home. AGES 3+
bottom of page